I think reviews don’t always have to be for the latest gear so here’s one on a product that’s been around awhile, it’s my tried and true water filter, the Katadyn Hiker Pro.
I first encountered this wonder when my then boyfriend (now husband) brought it backpacking on a trip we were taking in Yosemite. It was so much faster and smoother to operate than other filters I’d tried. Years and many backpacking trips later, it still works great. I’ve been asked in the past what filter I use so thought it was a good share here.Â While I’m intrigued by the new gravity fed filters, I don’t admire their price since most of them are double what this little guy costs. I may change my tune down the line, but if you’d rather pump and go than wait for gravity I’d say this filter is still a steal and would be especially useful for short trips while covering a lot of ground. It would also be useful in places where it may be hard to scoop out a lot of water, for example, when the water is below or there is just a small opening to a running stream of water, just plop the float down into it and pump away from more stable ground.
- Long lasting AntiClog pleated cartridge requires no maintenance or cleaning.
- Very large filter surface for fast output.
- Easy to use because of minimal resistance whilst pumping.
- Active carbon core reduces unpleasant tastes and odors from the water.
- Small pre-filter on in-hose protects filter cartridge life in turbid water. [Rockgrrl’s note: while I’ve used it for years with no problem, it was mainly used in places with relatively clear water (the Sierras for example) so I can’t attest to how it works in turbid water. I did find the prefilter float to be handy in keeping grasses, etc out even before it got to the inside filter though.]
- Compact design and easy operation–fits in any backpack or travel bag.
- Easy Fill Bottle Adaptor attaches directly to a drinking bottle. [Rockgrrl’s note: I love this, it fits great on Nalgene bottles]
- Technology: AntiClog Technology with 0.3 micron glassfiber and activated carbon granulate
- Output: ca. 1 liters/minute
- Cartridge Capacity: Up to 750 l (depending on water quality)
- Weight: 11 ounces
- Size: 7.6 x 16.5 x 6.1 cm (3 x 6.5 x 2.4 inches)
- Includes: Prefilter, bottle adapter and carry bag