Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Rockgrrl Discussion Forum
  Welcome to the ReOpening of our forum!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Rockgrrl.com Homepage Rockgrrl Shop  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is outdoor climbing for me? (Read 1709 times)
schmoozie
Newbies

Climber

Is outdoor climbing for me?
May 16th, 2011 at 5:02pm

Hi. I'm new to outdoor climbing (just did my first outdoor weekend) and even pretty new to indoor climbing (5 months). In the gym I can do up to a soft 5.9. I knew outdoor climbing would be much harder. I was able to do 5.6 pretty easily, didn't get a chance to do a 5.7 and 5.8 and up was too hard. The outdoor climbing weekend I went on only had 2 5.6 climbs that I was able to do. The rest were 5.8 or higher and were too frustrating and discouraging. Am I too old for this sport? I'm 50, but I'm in good shape. I wasn't very sore after the camping, hiking, and climbing and I wasn't scared of the climbs, I was just very frustrated and couldn't do the harder climbs. I'm trying to decide if outdoor climbing is just too hard for me or if I'm too old for it. Any feedback? Thanks!

IP Logged

WingLady
Global Moderator

Colorado
Re: Is outdoor climbing for me?
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2011 at 8:16am

Don't give up -- just find places to climb where you are able to find routes within your range. You'll move up to harder routes with practice.

I'm 59 and my husband is 74 -- and we both still have a wonderful time climbing. The rating of a climb isn't the important thing to us -- having fun and staying fit are what it's all about in our minds.

Climb on!

D. Winger
The Winger Bookstore
New: Two Shadows
The TRAD Guide to Joshua Tree - 60 favorite climbs from 5.5 to 5.9
WWW 100000770304112  
IP Logged

libelle
Newbies

Climber

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2011 at 11:43pm

Patience is all you need. It takes time to learn. If you enjoy it, then, it is something for you. Just give yourself time. Smiley

IP Logged

Kate
Newbies

Climber

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 9:57am

You are not too soft or too old.  I've been climbing for six months and am older than about half the people at my gym.  My first outdoor trip was Joshua Tree and I could only top rope a 5.6 and I was terrified the whole time.  I just lead my first 5.8 on-sight and cleaned it. And I climb 5.10a-c in the gym.  Go for it!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print