Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Rockgrrl Discussion Forum
  Welcome to the ReOpening of our forum!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Rockgrrl.com Homepage Rockgrrl Shop  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Helmets - Petzl Elia vs Half Dome vs Meteor III (Read 7556 times)
Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Helmets - Petzl Elia vs Half Dome vs Meteor III
Oct 13th, 2010 at 11:22am

From a Twitter discussion that happened after I posted my Petzl Elia Review.

In chronological order:

Chicksclimbing

This review of the Petzl Elia helmet from @rockgrrl is really making me want to try one! http://ht.ly/2SXql #climb

AlpineInstitute

@Chicksclimbing Right after I 1st saw the Elia, I helpd in a SAR where the vic wouldn't have survived if the ponytail spot had been exposed.
38 minutes ago via web in reply to Chicksclimbing

rockgrrl

@AlpineInstitute What was the situation?
32 minutes ago via web in reply to AlpineInstitute

AlpineInstitute

@rockgrrl Sport leader fall, foot behind the rope, flipped upside down and crushed the helmet right at the ponytail spot.
30 minutes ago via web in reply to rockgrrl

rockgrrl

@AlpineInstitute yowch! I wonder if a Half Dome would have helped, I'm gonna measure the difference in rise on mine
29 minutes ago via web in reply to AlpineInstitute

rockgrrl

@AlpineInstitute ah just realized, the person was NOT wearing an Elia, I'm still going to compare my helmets as it's a good pt
26 minutes ago via web in reply to AlpineInstitute

AlpineInstitute

@rockgrrl The guy was knocked unconscious, but woke up and was helied out. I don't think he would have survived if that spot had been open.
27 minutes ago via web

rockgrrl

@AlpineInstitute I noticed tho if I wear a ponytail with a regular helmet it tends to push it forward... which would then expose my neck
25 minutes ago via web in reply to AlpineInstitute

AlpineInstitute

@rockgrrl No helmet's perfect. They're all going to have downsides. I just think the rope behind the leg accident is somewhat common.
20 minutes ago via web in reply to rockgrrl

rockgrrl

@AlpineInstitute Agreed, took an upside down one myself, tho the helmet scraped midpoint, just took a comparison pic of 3 helmets will share
9 minutes ago via web in reply to AlpineInstitute

Comparison pic of the back of three helmets:
From Left to Right Petzl Meteor III, Petzl Elia, Black Diamond Half Dome

It seems that the real ponytail enabling feature of the Elia is not the "cut out" of the helmet but rather the new suspension system, instead of having straps cut across the back of your head, the bracket goes in a U loop, allowing ponytail access.

Usual system:

Elia's OMEGA system:

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Re: Helmets - Petzl Elia vs Half Dome vs Meteor III
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 11:53am

AlpineInstitute

@rockgrrl Thanks for the photos. It doesn't look as far swept up as I thought.
14 minutes ago via web

AlpineInstitute

@rockgrrl @WholeEarthProv @hypoxicjd @Blueskeyes207 @rockmaven56 Here's more info about the accident: http://tinyurl.com/29ulr43

[ http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/2010/04/falling-on-lead-and-cratering.html ]

rockgrrl

@AlpineInstitute thanks! I'll add this to the discussion capture. My upside down incident was bc of feet hitting rock not rope behind leg
3 minutes ago via web in reply to AlpineInstitute

[Note: I added an explanation to what I had tweeted earlier, that I had been "upside down" (more like horizontal I've just been told though it felt "upside down" to me). In my particular case it wasn't because I had the rope behind my leg, but that scenario does seem to be common]

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print