Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Rockgrrl Discussion Forum
  We've upgraded the forum! If you had a past account try logging in with the same name and password.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Rockgrrl.com Homepage Rockgrrl Shop  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
any advice for new climbers? (Read 3185 times)
brookelyn
Newbies

Georgia
any advice for new climbers?
Jan 5th, 2005 at 5:34am

pleased to find a site devoted to this sort of thing...

I've done everything BUT climbing and recently went bouldering with my friend and LOVED it. I have some good climbing shoes...want to get started...

Any advice for a new climber who's pretty much gonna teach herself?

Hope to hear from someone.

brookelyndj  
IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Re: any advice for new climbers?
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 3:29pm

Hey there! Best advice is have fun!

Seriously it's corny but it's good advice. When you're starting off just go with the flow. Don't worry too much about the proper way to do things yet, such as being "off route" or such. If you get to the top, no matter how you did it celebrate Smiley

In terms of more practical matters: if you're just bouldering and you have shoes you're pretty much set. A chalk bag and some chalk is nice to have as well.

When bouldering if you feel like you're going to fall, think about it as choosing to jump off rather than falling. This will help your body prepare for landing.

Other tips: drink lots of water and don't forget to eat even if you're excited.

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

ToeJam
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2005 at 3:41pm

Unless you plan to stick to bouldering, you will need partners.  Choose them carefully.  Be certain that you are willing to bet your life on their good judgement, as that is exactly what you will be doing. 

The best way to learn is to climb with experienced people, observe them carefully, and ask questions.  You can augment this by reading, the climbing anchors series by John Long is a must  before setting your own anchors.   Study everything you can about safety.  Learning to stack the odds in your, and your partners favor is an art in itself.

If you are simply going to be bouldering for a time, just have fun and experiment.  Watch other climbers and emulate their movements. Be safe, don't climb too high, or above poor landings.

Good luck,

IP Logged

Brooke DeJesus

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2005 at 11:04am

Awesome...

Also any thoughts on the difference between learning in a climbing gym vs. in the "field"?

I really want to learn but the gym kinda intimidates me... I dunno. Plus my partner might not be in the picture much longer.

Should I join a gym to learn the basics and then take it out into the field????

Thanks - your thoughts and support are appreciated.

bdj

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2005 at 3:35pm

I don't think you need to start in a gym, plenty of climbers started outdoors (me included). However one advantage a gym might have is in meeting more climbers which could help you find a good group of regulars to climb with.

In terms of technique I find indoor and outdoor climbing to be quite different. Some things crossover such as finding and being comfortable with your center of gravity but others things don't cross over very well if at all (crack climbing for instance).

I definitely don't think you should limit yourself to indoor climbing. Go outside and find some easy stuff to work on, plus, if you're like me, part of why I like climbing is to be outdoors and to get away from it all.

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

Joseph

Because it's there

L.A. Ca
Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2005 at 10:06pm

In regards to climbing in a gym I look at it as training for the outdoors a good place to get strong. don't let the gym intimidate you the only reason your there is for you. as for John Longs books read and reread if your not using certain systems often you'll forget them when you need them. If you can climb with people that are above your level of climbing you'll learn alot just trying to folllow them up topropes

IP Logged

2ndfloorrock

Climber

Tacoma, WA
Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 10:38pm

Also a new climber, having a problem bouldering and dealing with my fear of falling, any tips or suggestions?

peanut.mcwilliams  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print