Send Topic Print
Climbing pants (Read 7223 times)
Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Climbing pants
Jan 27th, 2004 at 1:04pm

I'm in search of some decent climbing pants. I'd love them to be both tough and warm but I'd take only one of those if I had to.

Previously when cold weather came about I'd just climb in excercise type leggings. I tried a pair of Prana pants too and while they lasted longer than I thought, they ended up tearing on a descent in Red Rocks.

I heard about the Patagonia Talus pants but I would settle for less function but lower price.

Any suggestions? Or maybe I should just cycle through cheap lycra / cotton type blend leggings?

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

antnz_77

One legged climbers can
still kick butt

New Zealand
Re: Climbing pants
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 10:21pm

try something made in merino wool...  its the best....  kind of a new zealand thing i think tho...

Ant

just cos i am differently able dont mean i cant climb, i do and well.... Know No Boundaries

IP Logged

c m

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 11:00am

I bought some nylony REI pants at REI for river rafting/hiking, and they have worked very well for climbing, although they are not warm at all.  I think they might only be offered in summer as I could not find them when i went back in October.

I just bought Prana pants for climbing,but they are just a tad too long (I am 5'5") and maybe a little tight in other areas.  My friend complained she couldn't fit the brand and that it was only made for skinny people (seems to be true).  They do make the butt look good though, ha ha.

and if anyone has trouble with finding a harness that fits properly (I have a long torso, skinny waist, and shorter thick legs), Metolius is supposedly the only brand that does custom harnesses. I just had one made. I had back trouble on rappel in the Black Diamond Primrose harness so I returned it and ordered a custom Safe Tech from Metolius.

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 12:21pm

"They do make the butt look good though, ha ha."

Smiley  I agree Wink

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep an eye out for the REI pants. I ended up getting some the Serenity prana pants for stretch, casual times (not warmth). So I'm still looking out for warm type pants.

Good lead on the custom harnesses too, I know some folks will be interested in that.

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

chris

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 4:07pm

Carhartts ladies! and longjohns

IP Logged

amartindale
Newbies

Hiker/camper/squatch
er extraordinaire

Georgia
Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 7:52am

I picked up the REI Rendezvous pants when they were on clearance end of season last year.  I do a lot of hiking/camping and they were priced right so I thought I'd try them out.  Oh my goodness... these are amazing pants!  They're form fitting so there's not extra bulk and they stretch as you move.  They also don't get dirty!  I have two pairs that are a brown color and all the dirt/mud just brushed right off!  I wore them 3 days straight because every day they still looked/smelled fresh... why dirty other clothes?  When it was cold, I wore thermals under them and stayed plenty warm. 

Full price is around $55 at REI, but they do have sales of 20% for members several times a year and they do go on clearance occasionally. 

I highly recommend these pants for any outdoor activities.  Smiley

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 2:08pm

I ended up getting REI Mistral Pants. But not the ones available this year, mine were made with Schoeller material which is great!  Two guys I know (inspired by my pants shopping) bought the guy versions... that arent' made with Schoeller, the fabric seemed less durable, or at least less abrasion resistant.

I love my Mistral Pants and they still look new after over a year's worth of use Smiley

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print