Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Rockgrrl Discussion Forum
  We've upgraded the forum! If you had a past account try logging in with the same name and password.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Rockgrrl.com Homepage Rockgrrl Shop  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Welcome! Introduce yourself! (Read 44593 times)
Powerpuff
Ex Member

Re: Welcome! Introduce yourself!
Reply #45 - Dec 21st, 2004 at 2:22am

Hi all, my name is Michelle and I live in Johannesburg, South Africa. Been climbing for 5 years combined, but only started climbing again this past January after a 4 year break. My husband started climbing then and I'm really glad to have such an enthusiastic partner!

I climb almost exclusively sport, but I'm not averse to seconding trad if someone drags me up a climb!

Brendon and I have just returned from a 4-day trip to Mount Everest, a Sandstone sport climbing venue 3 hours away. The two highlights were a 3 pitch sport climb that we did (80m) and a redpoint that I nearly got on a route at my top grade.

Some of you may be wondering why the name 'Powerpuff'? Well, I recently adorned my helmet with Powerpuff girl stickers, I take my inspiration from a bunch of girly girls who kick the bad guys' butts!

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #46 - Dec 21st, 2004 at 12:49pm

Hi Michelle!

Climbing couples are great!

I haven't heard too much about climbing in South Africa. You mentioned sandstone, is that the type of rock that is generally found there?

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

Powerpuff
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Dec 22nd, 2004 at 1:06am

Hey, climbing in South Africa is great! We have one of the highest number of sunny days per year for any country! Have a look at the two websites listed, there are route guide databases on both:

http://www.saclimb.co.za/climb_index.html
http://www.climbing.co.za/

We have mainly quartzite and sandstone rock from what I understand. Very red rock, beautiful! I haven't climbed in the Cape, and haven't done too much in the Drakensberg, but I love the rock at Waterval Boven, Mount Everest, Swinburne, and in Kwazulu Natal (have a look at the route guides for pictures!).

If you ever want to make a trip to SA, give me a yell. We climb mostly sport, but I can hook you up with some trad climbers and you can explore some of our fine rock!

IP Logged

Joseph

Because it's there

L.A. Ca
Reply #48 - Mar 9th, 2005 at 9:42pm

Hello, quick intro I've been climbing about 17 years noy so much the past 4 due to work and relocating to So-Cal. Looking to get back into climbing shape this spring and pulling down on some rock. This is the only Rock forum Iv'e found yet so it seems like a good place to call home. If anyone needs info on Nor-Cal climbing let me know I lived and worked up there for 11 years and worked and climbed with the boys at Yates Gear.
Joseph

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #49 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 11:26pm

Hey there, welcome Joseph!

SoCal eh? Maybe I'll see you out at the crags! I just got back from a Joshua Tree trip.

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

Joseph

Because it's there

L.A. Ca
Reply #50 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 7:23am

Rockgrrl, I was out at malibu creek with my wife for a few hours on Sat. morning. I told her about the Not A Belay Slave shirts I think she likes them she's not a serious climber content to TR up to 5.9ish + or -  Well hopefully well see you around other than my wife I only know 1 other So-Cal climber so far.
Cheers
Joseph

IP Logged

szen
Newbies

Malaysia
Reply #51 - May 15th, 2005 at 7:53am

Hi,

I'm Sze Ning from Malaysia, and I've been climbing for too long .

Just kidding.

I've been climbing for about 2 years plus. Mostly indoors (gym rat), still working on getting over my fear of leading outdoors (and waking up early to get to a climbing site). Almost typical climbing junkie, I am.

Very nice site you have here, Rockgrrl. Love the design. Keep up the good work.

Cheers!

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #52 - May 21st, 2005 at 11:16am

Hey there! Thanks for the site compliment Smiley

Waking up early to go climbing can indeed be hard, hehe.

There are a lot of times when I wake up too late to go out to further climbing spots and end up going to the closest one to me instead.

I've *edit- never * been to Malaysia, if you have pictures of the climbing there and want to share them I can make you a free photo album in the gallery section of rockgrrl. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2005 at 2:04pm by Rockgrrl Admin »  

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

szen
Newbies

Malaysia
Reply #53 - May 22nd, 2005 at 5:46am

Hey rockgrrl. Ah you've been to Malaysia, did you climb when you were down here?

I would love to have a photo album here, thanks!
Though... I must say I've got to work on my climbing photography.... I tend to get more Ass Shots than action shots. hahhaha...

I do have some photos up on my flickr accounts and on my blog (http://climbingdurian.blogspot.com), is there an easy way for me to transfer them here?

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #54 - May 23rd, 2005 at 12:35pm

Whoops! I left out the "never" - I've never been to Malaysia Smiley

Hmm I can pull the pics down for you and upload them later you can just upload them direct.

First things first though... I'll make a section for you and then email you the password.

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

Lee
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Calgary, Canada
Reply #55 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 2:27pm

I'm a Calgary-based climber and just found this site.  I've been climbing for about 1 year and have gotten completely hooked on ice, mixed and rock climbing... there are even times when I have to choose between climbing or playing hockey and I usually end up picking climbing (sorry, team!).  I love trad multi-pitch and just started leading on gear.  Also really enjoy backcountry skiing although I tend to save the tele turns for the days when it's too cold to ice climb. 

I'm a medical student and most of my close friends from school are climbers.  I'm not sure if it's because med school selects for a particular personality type or what it is, but I've met more climbers in my class than anywhere else.  Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I usually climb with my best friend (a guy) or my boyfriend, and I agree with what some of the other posters have said... I think climbing with guys pushes us to become stronger.  Otherwise I think the tendency would be to climb balancey, footwork kinds of routes instead of more burly routes. 

My favourite places to climb: Squamish, and Yam in the Rockies.  I also think Crazy Horse in northern Thailand has huge potential... I was there in April and had a great time.

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #56 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 3:23pm

Welcome to the board Lee!

Of the med students and or doctors I know one is a climber, the other 6 aren't.

I have seen a coorelation between Engineers and fencers though, hmm and one of the med students I knew was from fencing while a doctor I know wants to start up fencing. Fencing is my other main sport by the way Smiley

I've climbed up in Squamish once, had a great time Smiley

As for climbing with guys I think it's fun though I also think it's important to do balance work too.

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

ithinkyouknow
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 1:32am

hey guys, my name's molly and i'm pretty new to climbing.  i've basically been climbing indoors for a couple months with my friend jackie (also a noob)  i have yet to go outdoor climbing though.  that's about it

IP Logged

harmonydoc
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 11:58am

Hello!   The first time I ever climbed was about 15 years ago with guides (in Tuolumne, top roped something on Lembert Dome I think), did a handful of guided climbs outside over the years, but didn't really get into it until about 3 months ago when I joined the local gym.  I live in Northern California.  In response to some of the posts above, I think there are a lot of medical people in climbing (I'm an M.D.) - something about the personality type or training, being able to assess a risky/stressful situation and take action under pressure, I think.

I just did my first trad lead last weekend, and my second and third trad leads yesterday - Lover's Leap near South Lake Tahoe, the Hogsback:  first and 3rd pitches of Knapsack (5.5) last weekend, then the 2nd pitch of Deception (5.6) and Harvey's Wallbangers Center (5.6) yesterday.  It was awesome!  I think 5.6 is a good level for me to stay at until I get a little better at placing pro (one piece I placed before a face traverse was not multidirectional, popped out as I moved right - funny thing was I felt more embarrased about it than scared, although if I had fallen it would have been ugly).  Carried a ton of gear, both from my own and my partner's rack - I'd rather carry the kitchen sink and be able to overprotect at this point in my career.

Anyway, leading trad is awesome, Lover's Leap is awesome!  Never led sport, seems all the bolted routes in my area are pushing the limit of my TR ability (i.e. 5.9-low 5.10ish).

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #59 - Aug 28th, 2005 at 12:37pm

Welcome to the board Molly and Harmonydoc!

And also a welcome to the sport Molly Smiley Let us know your progress!

Harmonydoc, Lover's Leap is a nice introduction to trad leading, I have some pics up of the area in the photo gallery section. Corregation Corner was my favorite in the area.

Keep learning those placements and yep meanwhile keeping below your top rating is a good idea Smiley

Also I think sport leading will feel much easier for you once you do it, you don't have to place the pro or think about where you'll be placing the pro next.

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print