Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Rockgrrl Discussion Forum
  We've upgraded the forum! If you had a past account try logging in with the same name and password.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Rockgrrl.com Homepage Rockgrrl Shop  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Welcome! Introduce yourself! (Read 41539 times)
antnz_77

One legged climbers can
still kick butt

New Zealand
Re: Welcome! Introduce yourself!
Reply #30 - Dec 1st, 2003 at 6:35pm

Grin thanks for the great welcome Smiley...  i am looking to start putting together a rack,  i have the basics, harness, shoes, chalk bag, a couple of carabiners, a couple of slings, a couple of prussiks, an ATC....  i reakon quick draws next... then what people, where do i start??

thanks and have a good one
Ant

just cos i am differently able dont mean i cant climb, i do and well.... Know No Boundaries

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #31 - Dec 2nd, 2003 at 2:02pm

After rethinking, I decided that a Gear Forum now would be a good thing so I made one for you Smiley

If you can copy and paste your question there you can get the "First Post!" privledge Smiley

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

lryan
Ex Member

: Welcome! Introduce yourself!
Reply #32 - Dec 28th, 2003 at 2:32pm

Quote:
Welcome to the discussion forums!

Guy or Grrl, feel free to introduce yourself in this thread, or start your own.

Tell us as much or as little as you want or simply just say "Hi" Wink

Hey there, Lynn here,
Just found this site - great !
Can anybody help with a problem I have ????
Have been indoor climbing with my climbing partner - fantastic  ! - only problem is our weight difference I am 50 k and he is 80 k -  grand if he is belaying me but I have been launched a few times belaying him! - fine if you have a belay bag handy but we were hoping to go on an outdoor climbing holiday !!!! - any suggestions ??? do I bring an empty sand-bag with me and start filling it when I get there ??? Help!!!

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #33 - Dec 29th, 2003 at 12:34pm

Hi Lynn!

That's the first I've heard of a "belay bag". Gyms around here usually have a daisy chain or at least a tied rope to an anchor bolt in the ground near routes for belayers to clip into.

Outdoors I will usually set up an anchor using pro or just webbing to clip in if I feel it's needed. Look for trees or boulders you can wrap with webbing or for cracks at the base of the cliff where you might be able to place a nut etc.

If you don't have pro, webbing isn't that expensive so I suggest at least picking that up.

If there really isn't an ideal anchor spot, try to stand fairly close to the cliff (not right under the climber of course) this will make the angle on your rope (if it's a toprope) more acute and you will get more friction, also it will help you not get dragged into the cliff face.

Welcome to the board!

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

lynn

Reply #34 - Jan 3rd, 2004 at 10:11am

Thanks Rockgrrl will try out tips !

IP Logged

WingLady
Global Moderator

Colorado
Reply #35 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 10:34am

Hi everyone,
I've been climbing since the late 80s, mostly trad.  I love to climb at Joshua Tree, even though home is in Colorado!

It's nice to find a forum focused especially on women climbers.

D. Winger
The Winger Bookstore
New: Two Shadows
The TRAD Guide to Joshua Tree - 60 favorite climbs from 5.5 to 5.9
WWW 100000770304112  
IP Logged

pandora

Reply #36 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 11:27pm

Hi, everyone-

I met Rockgrrl on the post about "Hate to be the Newbie but", but I suppose I should post here, too.

I'm 43 and as newbie as they come- last night was my first climb at the Lindseth Climbing Wall at Cornell U., and I am hooked! What a rush- I have definitely found a new sport! My youngest daughter, who is not quite 13, will be joining me there in two weeks, too. A whole new way of parent-child bonding...wooohooo! Rock on, ladies~ Cheesy

pandora1260  
IP Logged

dirtbarbie
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Scottsdale, AZ
Reply #37 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 10:46am

hey everyone!
My name is Noel, and I am so excited to find this site!! I have been climbing for about 2 years and looking for some grrls to climb with. I have been climbing with mostly guys, but since i got married, it has become a huge problem  Cry I'm hoping that i can find some cool people to climb with
Noel

Life is a roller coaster and I am not strapped in

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #38 - Mar 23rd, 2004 at 8:50pm

Welcome Winglady and Dirtbarbie!

Sorry for the belated welcome, been pretty busy, and it's been a good busy Smiley

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

crankincas
Ex Member

Reply #39 - May 10th, 2004 at 7:21pm

Hullo there.

I'm not new to climbing, but I am new to this website.  I like the idea but it's a bit too girly...did it have to be pink?

OK, I have no questions but I've been climbing for 6 years, mostly sport climbing, so if anyone has any questions...I might be able to help you.

Here are some other really good websites that I've found over the years:

www.planetfear.com/climbing
www.bodyresults.com
www.scottishclimbs.com

Good luck to all you newbies!!

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #40 - May 17th, 2004 at 1:44pm

Hi crankincas!

I'll tone down the pink in my next redesign - I was going with sunset colors for the site and then...well I guess I got carried away. I'm not particularly a "pink" girl either but I do think it's funny to wear girly stuff when doing burly things.

We have a nice mix of veteran and new climbers so we definitely appreciate your offer of helping answer questions Smiley

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

nancy pallister

Reply #41 - Oct 6th, 2004 at 5:17pm

Hi!  Been climbing since 1965.  Probably older than most of your mothers!  Mountaineering, trad climbing. Just discovered the fun of gym climbing the last few years. Currently climbing in high Sierra, J-Tree, Yosemite, Tuolumne, Lover's Leap.  This site does not seem to be used much- good idea though- hope I can be of help.

IP Logged

Ashley Michelle Bowman

Reply #42 - Oct 10th, 2004 at 8:54pm

Hi everyone!  I'm Ashley.  I'm been climbing for about year now.  My exboyfriend and I started climbing together.  we were together when we started climbing.  unfortunately we just broke up.  the thing is that in the past year i've grown to love climbing possibly more than he has.  anyways i'm dying to go climb with other girls.  all the climbers i know are boys who think that i don't have the same skills they have even though i do.  i think this site is great and look forward to meeting other female climbers.

IP Logged

WingLady
Global Moderator

Colorado
Reply #43 - Oct 11th, 2004 at 5:50am

Quote:
Hi!  Been climbing since 1965.  Probably older than most of your mothers!  Mountaineering, trad climbing. Just discovered the fun of gym climbing the last few years. Currently climbing in high Sierra, J-Tree, Yosemite, Tuolumne, Lover's Leap.  

Hi Nancy -
From one "senior" climber to another:  welcome!

We're heading out to JTree for the last week of October and 1st week of November -- maybe we'll cross paths there.  Nov. 6 is Shoe Demo Day at Nomad Ventures -- my husband & I will be there to do a book-signing for our new guidebook for Joshua Tree.  If you're around, stop by and introduce yourself.

D. Winger
The Winger Bookstore
New: Two Shadows
The TRAD Guide to Joshua Tree - 60 favorite climbs from 5.5 to 5.9
WWW 100000770304112  
IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #44 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 2:33pm

Hi Nancy and Ashley!

Nancy you're not older than my mom! Wink  And really it's all about being young at heart isn't it?

It's great to have inspiration from more senior climbers.

Ashley, sorry to hear about the break up, getting out and climbing is the right idea though Smiley

To you both, feel free to register your account, I can then tag it to see the "invisible" all female forums if you'd like.

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print