Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Rockgrrl Discussion Forum
  We've upgraded the forum! If you had a past account try logging in with the same name and password.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Rockgrrl.com Homepage Rockgrrl Shop  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Welcome! Introduce yourself! (Read 43885 times)
Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Welcome! Introduce yourself!
Sep 11th, 2002 at 10:44am

Welcome to the discussion forums!

Guy or Grrl, feel free to introduce yourself in this thread, or start your own.

Tell us as much or as little as you want or simply just say "Hi" Wink

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

dogzilla21
Newbies

*rOaR*

Cupertino,CA
Re: Welcome! Introduce yourself!
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2002 at 10:56pm

[color=Blue][/color]hey everyone

im tiff, and i live in the bay area. just wanted to give you props for making a great site Grin

iampeachy21  
IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2002 at 9:57am

Hiya Tiff!

Thanks for the props, hopefully the site will just get better and better Smiley

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

jerrica135
Ex Member

Question!
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2002 at 3:35pm

Hi guys, my name is Jess!  My boyfriend of 2 years is big into bouldering and has been for years. I have tried it indoors a few times but never really got into it ( I am a dancer and think i have all the wrong muscles for it) ??? however, it seems really important to him that I give this a real shot since it is something he loves to do. I am all about trying but everyone he climbs with is really experianced already and to be honest, quit intimidating. :-[ So their are a few thigns I need to know, the first of which what kind of shoe to buy. I dont need anything really expensive since I am just starting, but i need something better then the crappy rental shoes at the climbing gym. Any advice would be really helpful..im sure there will be many more questions to follow!
Thanks so much!! ;D
~Jess~

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2002 at 4:37pm

Hi Jess!

Welcome to the board Smiley

I think with your dancer background you'd have great muscles for climbing, it'll just take a bit for you to get used to climbing. I also wonder if your boyfriend and his friends might be trying to show you climbs that are too hard for you since they are much more experienced than you (not because they are mean, but just because I'm sure they are more familar with the harder boulder problems than the beginner /intermediate ones).

For shoes I recommend La Sportiva "Mythos" as a good all around climbing shoe, but it's not that great in the price department (It's not that bad either though).  You could also look at the latest version of the Boreal "Aces" or try out the Boreal "Ballet gold" shoe.  If you think you won't be doing much rope climbing and only do bouldering, and especially gym bouldering, then you'll probably want to look at the many shoes designed just for bouldering. They tend to have an "odd" shape for more power in the toe. For easy on and off for indoor climbing you also have a choice of a lot of "slipper" shoes.

My first climbing shoes I got for an incredible price, they were the Five Tens and I got them from a sale by a local outfitter which sells off their rental shoes every year. They normally would've been $35 on sale but I got them from an employee who snatched them up after the sale was over and he sold it to me for less than that.

Look around for some sales on shoes. Look for deals on La Sportiva and Boreal shoes, these are good manufacturers in my opinion.  I'll put up some links on my links page  to some places online where you can buy stuff and maybe we can start a thread for good deals we see online too.

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

Bill

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2002 at 11:27pm

Jess, I agree with Rockgrrl that you should start on easy climbs.  Remember your boyfriend started on easy climbs also.  There is technique involved and you have to learn it by climbing routes you can get up, with ballet you don’t start on Pointe. Something you should be aware of if you are bouldering is when making a quick maximum effort, as in a dyno, you put an extreme strain on your muscles. Be careful when doing this, warm up properly and use proper technique so you don’t pull anything.

As for dancing and climbing, my daughter is 15 yrs old, has been dancing ballet for 11 years and competitive ballroom for 5 years.  She also is rock solid on anything 5.10 and has gotten up quite a few 5.11’s.  The main concern her dance coaches have expressed to me is that she stays away from crack climbing because of the gobies you get from climbing them.  Her dancing has given her leg strength to stand on holds so small I can’t even see them let alone use them.  Her abs are strong enough that she has no problem with overhangs and can usually TR just about any 5.11+ route she tries.  She also has more flexibility and balance than I will ever dream of having.  I would say if you are a dancer you are already one up on your boyfriend when it comes to climbing.  Wink

Bill

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2002 at 10:36am

Thanks for the response Bill! And feel free to register for the board. I don't send out any spam mail at all btw as I hate that myself.

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

rock_chic
Newbies

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2002 at 6:46am

hi every one

cool site Rockgrrl  i
[/color]re[color=Blue]
a
[/color]l[color=Purple]
l
[/color]y [color=Pink]
l
[/color]o[color=Navy]
v
[/color]e [color=Black]
all the cool stuff you can do and all  the smileys and stuff Smiley Embarrassed Cry Shocked Grin Cheesy Wink ??? Grin 8)
heh heh  Wink
cool!

I'm from Ireland and im a climber, and a girl .so, im pretty rare, an endangered species you might say!its fun al the same!
theres only about two other girl climbers in ireland (though theres more women-most of whom climb pretty damn hard, may i add!)

I dont climb half as hard as Bill's daughter but i want to. this forum and site are a really good idea-i was looking for something like this for a while.
I just hope its not too 'girly'
I would like a serious climbing site, with gear info and news of women doing hard stuff and pushing boundaries and stuff and pictures of women on hard routes... just suggestions.
so far so good  Grin Smiley Wink i love those things!

well done,
keep it up!

oh, and, i climb with guys most of the time (all the time) and i have to say that they have been a huge part in making me a strong  climber. i had to keep up with them so got stronger and stronger so i can sometimes pass them out!  Shocked
they have a serious competitiveness and, with my own serious competitiveness make me shake for days before competitions!
so, as much as i enjoy climbing with women, iv had my most inspiring days with guys, and my strongest moments in their presence!(maybe i just to get out more!) just to say theyre not all bad news!
once again, well done
  Smiley

if you don't let go, you can't fall off.

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2002 at 6:16pm

Hi rock-chic!

Sorry for the late response, been out climbing instead of working on the site Smiley

I've got some nice shots of my Half Dome climb I want to add in. I'll try to get them up this weekend.

I've got hopes we can also fill the forums with some good advice etc of the kind you're looking for.

As for climbing with guys and being competitive: yep I know what you mean. Most of the time I don't care but every now and then... Wink

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

shastess
Newbies

Climb like a GRRL!!!!!!!!

Springfield, Missouri
Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2003 at 8:15pm

Hi! I'm Tess and I started climbing just about 4 years ago when I lived on the Utah/Wyoming border. Then I moved back to the Midwest (Springfield, Missouri) and have had problems adjusting to the type of rock here. I've also had health problems and am just getting over some surgery that keeps me from any exercize for the next 6 weeks but I can't wait to get back out there and climb! I think this is a great site, especially since it's very supportive of us women!

Shastess  
IP Logged

mike o'brien

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2003 at 9:16pm

So wazzup with this weak forum anyway?  I looked around and you're practically the only one posting here.  You need to spice it up and add some spray or something.  I have many good suggestions.

IP Logged

Bodie
Newbies

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

I need support from the ladies!!  
Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2003 at 5:02pm

Cry

I hate to introduce myself on this website with whining, but I could really use some advice!  I have been climbing pretty regularly for the past 3 mos indoors(after taking a class at a gym), and climbed outdoors only a handful of times.  Just yesterday I went climbing with my boyfriend (and avid climber) and I struggled with a 2 pitch climb that involved rappeling and my being higher up then I've ever been while climbing.  I had a lot to learn, and I fumbled so much that I honestly felt that I was dumb...and I became very embarrased that I was having so much trouble -(not with the climb, mind you, but the technical parts such as setting up for the rappels and then climbing my first lead climb and setting up to belay from above...)  I'm used to top roping and sport climbing is intimidating me!! I don't want it to,  so are there any good books or links I can look at so I can read what I'm supposed to be doing, or get some handy tips to make myself more confident?  I know I just need to keep getting out there and practicing... hopefully my boyfriend will continue with his wonderful patience!! 

Thanks grrlssss...... Smiley

IP Logged

Rockgrrl Admin
YaBB Administrator

Climb on!

California
Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2003 at 4:05pm

It's ok to feel nervous your first time outdoors and especially on your first multipitch climb.

It takes a bit to get used to rope management, anchors, etc. And sometimes it seems harder when someone's watching you.

There are some great books by John Long on climbing, I'll dig up some links but you can find them pretty easily by doing a net search. There are books specifically on anchors, etc.

~ Rockgrrl
aka Eileen
IP Logged

Shorty42488
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2003 at 5:36pm

Hey!
My names Becca. This Site is great!! I am doing a Project for school on Climbing and this is the Best site I have found!!

IP Logged

bOOgieGuRL
Newbies

hallooo im new here!!

Singapore
Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2003 at 12:42pm

Halo,
Glad to have found tis website!! Grin
its cool n i hope i can make frens with other climbers from all around the world!!

I'm a climber too! I'm from Singapore, Asia. and i join tis club in my school, its called sports climbing.
i'm not a serious climber coz i tink i will be climbing for recreational. hmmm but i tink im getting hook up in climbing coz its kinda challenging and it gives you the feeling to try n try again until you have complete the route.
[color=Navy][/color]
anyway i hav to go now, get ready for school!! i will be back...cya...soon Wink

WWW 38630009  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print