Red Rock Canyon National Conservation area and other areas like it are also affected by the Government shutdown.
Facing the threat of a shutdown, the Bureau of Land Management devised a contingency plan that helps to answer some of these questions. Generally:
- Visitor centers and recreational facilities are closed (including campgrounds and bathrooms). All permitted activities are canceled and/or postponed. You may recreate/visit a non-developed area with no controlled access, but keep in mind there are no non-emergency services available.
- All Volunteer Activities will discontinue for the duration of the shutdown.
- If you have a meeting with BLM staff during the shutdown it is cancelled.
- There is no clear guidance on which roads will be closed. In general, roads that provide access for communities and major transportation routes will remain open.
- BLM will continue to operate law enforcement and emergency response functions.
You can read the BLM contingency plan here: http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/BLM-Contingency-Plan.pdf